How Good Is Your Email Hygiene?
Let’s talk about one aspect of newsletters today - subject lines.
Fun and shocking fact coming at ya... Did you know that 64% of people open emails based on the subject line? Yes, that’s true.
Often overlooked and written last-minute just to get the newsletter out there, subject lines are underrated and not given enough attention.
The subject line is the first thing your subscribers will SEE. It will either make them yawn, swipe or gasp. They are what makes the difference between fantastic open rates to nobody giving a damn whether your newsletter ends up in trash or not. Remember, we want those emails opened. Scroll down for our favourite tips on how to achieve this.
10 tips on writing engaging subject lines
- Personalise it. Let your personality or your brand’s personality shine.
- Make the reader feel special, as if you’re sharing a secret with them and they are privy to this valuable information you are about to share.
- Use action-oriented verbs. A call to action is necessary.
- A/B test your subject lines. Learn what works and what doesn’t. Repeat ones that work.
- Use words like ‘FREE’ in your subject lines (but don’t overdo it).
- DON’T YELL AT YOUR SUBSCRIBERS. Avoid using ALL CAPS.
- Try and balance the use of question marks and exclamation points, okay?!!?
- Be short, concise, simple.
- Add numbers into the subject line.
- Don’t lie or make false promises. You want to be a trusted, credible source.
Examples of great subject lines
- An awesome freebie that will help you grow your audience and your business.
- This is the ONLY hair hack you will ever need!
- Do you want to save XX% off your next appointment?
- This product is a total game-changer!
- Your friends will want to hear about this hair treatment...
- What is the ultimate hack for healthy hair? We have the answer.
- Learn how to support your local small business. It costs nothing!
Of course, if all of this sounds incredibly tedious or difficult or time-consuming, we’re here to help. We can help with any aspect of your newsletter, from writing the copy to graphic design. Click here to learn more.